HeartCode ACLS Part I
HeartCode® ACLS is an official, self-directed, comprehensive eLearning program from the American Heart Association (AHA). HeartCode® ACLS Part 1 uses eSimulation technology to present realistic patient scenarios. Students are presented with a team dynamics lesson, 10 ACLS hospital-based case scenarios, and a written exam. While interacting with the program, students assess each patient, formulate a treatment plan based on ACLS guidelines, and provide treatment. Successful completion of Part 1, the cognitive component, and Parts 2 and 3, skills practice and testing with an AHA ACLS Instructor or a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system, meets the requirements for obtaining an AHA ACLS Provider course completion card.
At the conclusion, participants should be able to:
- Recognize and initiate early management of periarrest conditions that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcome
- Demonstrate proficiency in providing BLS care, including prioritizing chest compressions and integrating automated external defibrillator (AED) use
- Recognize and manage respiratory arrest
- Recognize and manage cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including immediate post–cardiac arrest care
- Recognize and initiate early management of acute coronary syndromes, including appropriate disposition
- Recognize and initiate early management of stroke, including appropriate disposition
- Demonstrate effective communication as a member or leader of a resuscitation team and recognize the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance
This course offers continuing education credits for physicians (ACCME/AMA), nurses (ANCC), pharmacists (ACPE), and EMS Practitioners (CECBEMS).
HeartCode is the official American Heart Association (AHA) self-directed, comprehensive e-learning program for Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) for healthcare providers. Part one of the program uses AHA-developed software delivered through HealthStream. Parts two and three are given by a certified AHA instructor or Laerdal’s Voice Assisted Manikins (VAM) for practice and assessment.
To enroll in the HeartCode courses (ACLS, BLS or PALS), you must first sign up for Part 1 of ACLS, BLS, or the PALS course at https://brookdalehospital.enrollware.com/schedule . Once the enrollment request is submitted, the course will become available within 2 business days on your Brookdale Healthstream account.
After logging into HealthStream, go to your My Learning tab and select one of the following courses:
- 'HeartCode® ACLS Part 1 - G-2010 (Low Bandwidth)’
- 'HeartCode® BLS Part 1 - G-2010 (Low Bandwidth)’
- 'HeartCode® PALS Part 1 - G-2010 (Low Bandwidth)’
After selecting the appropriate HeartCode course, you will be taken to the Course Details/Learning Activities. Go through each of the learning activities.
Once you have completed the course, please remember to complete the evaluation. The course will not show as completed, nor will you receive a certificate until the evaluation is completed.
* You Must Complete PARTS 2&3 of this course within 60 days of completion of Part 1 - if you fail to do so within 60 days, Part 1 will expire*